Built in the fourteenth century for the Pusterla family as a suburban residence, it was purchased by the Arconati family in 1579 and sold to Count Giuseppe Angelo Crivelli at the beginning of the eighteenth century; he transformed it into a sumptuous mansion with an Italian garden.
The house was the site of important historic events. In 1797, Napoleon Bonaparte set up his headquarters here and later his court. In the attached oratory dedicated to St. Francis the two sisters of the then Pro-Consul, Paolina and Elisa, were married. In 1863 the Province of Milan bought the historic building to be used as a psychiatric hospital and thus it remained until the Basaglia Act was made law and all such hospitals were closed. The villa is now used as a professional training school.